Instructions for Making a Fruit Arrangement
After spending an hour’s worth of time and approximately $12 bucks on fruits and veggies, my masterpiece is complete. Check out the pics under the “Fun with Fruit” gallery on the left.
In case you feel like channeling Martha yourself, here are some basic instructions.
What You Need
- Sturdy Flower Pot (If you only have a basket, make sure you weight it down. The fruit makes the arrangement very top heavy. You don’t want it to flip over.)
- 1 Head Lettuce
- Spinach Leaves (A few, if you have ‘em.)
- Approximately 20-24 BBQ Skewers
- 1 Cantaloupe
- 1 Bunch of Grapes
- 1 Package Strawberries (~ 10 Berries)
- 1 Pineapple
- 1 Sharp Knife
- 1 Melon Baller (If you don’t have one, a teaspoon measuring spoon can pinch hit.)
- Wash all fruit and veggies.
- Cut the almost all of cantaloupe in long spears.
- Make 5-6 melon balls with the remaining cantaloupe.
- Cut green leaves off strawberries.
- Cut pineapple into flower shapes.
How You Make It
- Put head of lettuce – whole, stem-side down -- into flower pot. (Make sure it fits securely. You may have to trim the sides down a bit to fit it in.)
- Layer spinach (if using) on top of the lettuce. Tuck in at sides so it doesn’t slip. (This is supposed to look like grass.)
- Put fruit on skewers.
- Ease the pointy end of the skewers into the lettuce.
Easy as that!
To make your life easier, I recommend putting in the fruit in the following order.
- Cantaloupe (Think of this like your foundation.)
- Pineapple/Melon Flowers
- Strawberries (Use this to cover in the spaces you may have missed.)
- Grapes (4/Skewer / Use for accents.)